Our process is streamlining. We are beginning with the cameras earlier and with greater dexterity.
The foundation of this work is strong now: our sense of motion, proximity, shape, spatial relationship within the concept of frame is really solidifying. It is becoming quite clear in the video relics of these rehearsals that our aesthetic is taking shape and our choices are becoming purposeful.
This rehearsal we started to work with improvisation rules:
- when someone touches a wall, the person holding the camera puts it down
- whenever someone is holding the camera, someone must be actively “duet-ing” with them: whatever that means (this could include proximity, body shape, quality, timing, or any other number of things that could be considered active duet relationship)
- each individual had a series of camera manipulations to fulfill
We worked with many different rules which was helpful for structure and for heightening the sense of ATTENTION in the room.
There are at least two qualities that are now occurring in the film relics that I am watching of our rehearsals that excite me greatly:
- The distinct sense of the space outside of the frame as being alive (viewer recognition of the camera’s backspace)
- The prominence of the concept of reveal
The next step is working on an improvisational movement score which even further helps to underscore that which we are trying to do: democratize the space, create a state of heightened awareness, enhance the potential for a viewer’s sense of the space outside of the frame, amplify our listening and purposeful crafting for the frames of the camera(s) and the other people in space.
This week we are off. We meet again on Wednesday, March 31. Our shoot date is Wednesday, April 11.